Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes and Coconut Protein Pancakes

A recipe I tried this month that's worth mentioning is sweet potato salmon cakes.  I don't remember where I saw this or if it's something that came across my mind as I was looking at our meal prepping leftovers.  Either way, it's a great combination.

Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes

6-10 oz. salmon (grilled, baked, canned)

8 oz. roasted sweet potato, peel removed and mashed
2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg white for binding
1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped and sauteed
2 Tbsp. almond flour or 2 Tbsp. oat flour
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and make 4 oz. patties.  Pan fry in coconut oil until nice and golden on each side.  Makes 6 patties.  Serve on top of spring mix salad with some balsamic vinaigrette.  Keep it simple with a few grape tomatoes and some sunflower seeds.

I also experimented with coconut pancakes and boosted their protein content by adding some vanilla protein powder.  They were delicious.  I have made them 2-3 times now as a meal prepping item for quick breakfasts during the work week.  According to my saved recipes on My Fitness Pal, each pancake is 82 calories, 5g fat, 5g protein, 3g carbs, and 2g fiber.  Really delicious and really low carb.



Coconut Protein Pancakes
3/4 c. organic coconut flour
1 c. Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 c. water
4 large eggs
3/4 c. liquid egg whites
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
2 Tbsp. Torani's sugar free coconut syrup
1/4 c. reduced fat cultured buttermilk
1/3 c. extra virgin coconut oil
2 scoops, Cellucor whey protein whipped vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Pan fry them in coconut oil.  I'd recommend using a non-stick fry pan over medium heat to get golden cakes.  Hope you decide to give it a try, with or without protein powder.  

And now onto some detailed updates on strength training and weight loss.  I've been taking a different approach to my healthy living goals for the past two months.  The reason is because I have not seen many results on the scale, so I've turned to other ways for measuring my progress and focus.

March - Weeks 29 to 33
April - Weeks 33 to 37
May - Weeks 37 to 42
June - Weeks 42 to 46

Looking back at March, my goals were to begin strength training 2-3 times per week.  March weight loss was a total of 6 lbs.  I started at 174 lbs. and weighed in at 167 lbs. on March 31st.  April goals were not so noticeable on the scale, but I made great muscle gains at the gym with being able to add weight and feel my way around the machines and increase my familiarity with variations in exercising different muscle groups - legs, gluteals, abdominals, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps.  My focus in May was to take a close look at my meal portions and daily macrontrients and adjust according to my full feeling since it likely has changed.  I adjusted my daily intake slightly since I don't need as much to fill me up.  Strange as it sounds, it's needed periodically.  For example, I adjusted my oatmeal days from 1/2 cup dry oats to 1/3 cup dry oats.  And I adjusted my banana in the morning to 1/2 banana in the morning.  It's a small adjustment to reflect how much my body is asking for before I feel the satiety signals.  Small but effective.  At the end of May, I weighed in at 163 lbs.  So that was a net weight loss of 4 lbs.  So from March to May I had a total weight loss of 11 lbs.  Slow but steady.

My June goals were a bit different:
  1. Try some high intensity exercises
  2. Focus on stretching and warm-up exercises
  3. Focus on squats & curtsy lunges
  4. Focus on new ab exercises
  5. Change up breakfast with coconut pancakes
  6. Change up vegetables during the week
  7. Add more fish to diet
  8. Add BCAAs to pre- and post- workout supplement
  9. Incorporate testosterone boosting foods in your diet
Remember to incorporate testosterone boosting foods.  I recently came across a really interesting book that examines how testosterone may the the missing secret female hormone for many women in their forties.  Dr. Kathy Maupin identifies the problem and shows how this deficiency can be effectively reversed by following a Mediterranean diet rich in testosterone boosting foods that includes:
  • shrimp, salmon and beef
  • milk and ricotta cheese
  • mushrooms and garlic
  • strawberries
  • coconut
  • strawberries
  • beans
  • garlic
And remember not to spend too much of your exercise routine on endurance exercise.  Unfortunately, endurance exercise accelerates the aging process because it stimulates oxidative stress and tends to elevate cortisol levels which is a catabolic hormone (not good for muscle gains).  Short burst exercise, however, does not have the same effect.  In fact, it has the opposite effect in that it stimulates growth hormone (testosterone = good for muscle gains).  So that's why the top of my June goals is to experiment with some high intensity exercises in short bursts.  It's a great way to get the benefits of some healthy cardio exercise plus it does not elevate cortisol levels the way endurance exercise can.  That's about all I have for now.  My weigh in for June was 162 lbs.  Tomorrow begins Week 46...just seven more weeks till our one year anniversary.  Looking forward to reflecting on a whole year of healthy living.  Cheers.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary! Reflections on a year of clean and healthy eating

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes