Week in Review - Week 37

My grocery haul last week was a good one.  It includes most of the items I get on a regular basis - yogurt, dairy products, fruits, dark green leafy vegetables, eggs, and some legumes and canned goods.  What you don't see it protein like chicken breast, ground turkey, fish, or canned tuna.  I have enough in the freezer and pantry that I didn't need to shop for any this week.


Another thing that I did was take a picture of the chicken pancake ingredients in the food processor just before mixing.  The coconut oil makes them taste so good!  Love the flavors: chicken breast, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cumin, cilantro, bell pepper, jalapeno, and an egg.  It's an experiment in the making.  I do intend on measuring the ingredients next time so I can share an actual recipe with you.  They're a bit tricky to shape into patties because of the stickiness of the mixture.  Don't get discouraged by this.  Just spoon out the size meat patty you want onto the hot skillet, then spread out the mixture with the back of a spoon like the shape of a pancake once you put it in the pan.  The result is a wonderful tasting protein pancake that you can use all week long.  Some ways that we have prepared them is on gyros with cucumber, olives, red onions, tomato, feta cheese, and yogurt tzatziki sauce.  We've also had them with marinara sauce and mozzarella.  Another day we had them in Southwest wraps with lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, and southwest dressing.



One thing I learned in April not just in reading nutrition articles but in weighing myself daily is that weight loss is not linear.  Read this article for more details.  Take a look at my weight entries for April.  A month without any weight loss progress can be discouraging if weight loss is your only goal.  However, with a healthy lifestyle as the goal, I can think of so many other ways to measure how productive April was in terms of progress in strength training 2-3 times a week, getting used to sore muscles after a hard workout, getting familiar with using more machines at the gym, and finding a good balance between cardio and strength training for this month.  Besides, there are so many things that my body might be adjusting to that might explain the numbers on the scale besides what I'm eating and drinking.  I know that I have been sticking with my healthy eating plan 80-90% of the time, so I'm not going to change anything in my eating or exercise routine or dwell on the scale number.  They are a great tool to help me understand the ways that my body works on a day to day basis, on how much fluctuation happens even in one day, and that it's part of my body's way of maintaining a homeostatic state, which is important for human survival.

 Most days this month I maintained my food diary on My Fitness Pal.  My food diary is public, so check it out here if you're interested.  I have been setting My Fitness Pal goals for 50% fat, 20-25% protein and 25-30% carbs.  There isn't a subset of carbs that accounts for NET CARBS, so at this point I'm allowing for a bit more total carbs to account for the fiber.  So far this month that I've started using MFP, it's working well.  I've already entered quite a few of my recipes - Southwest chicken salad, ranch dressing, chicken pancakes, oatmeal with fruit, and yogurt with fruit.  I'll be back later this week with more details on the month of April.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary! Reflections on a year of clean and healthy eating

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes

Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes and Coconut Protein Pancakes