Dinner of the Week - Pork Loin and Roasted Vegetables



The last time Kurt grilled some meat was a couple of weeks ago, and we had it with grilled zucchini and mushrooms.  This week we planned to grill some pork loin.  He grills the meat and I prepare the vegetables - this is a good weeknight dinner strategy.
But this week I was craving something with a few more carbs.  Not sure why but I decided to be both creative and still healthful in dealing with my carb cravings.  So I bought three chayote squash and four small sweet potatoes (Note:  smaller = more skin and more fiber per serving and less net carbs; smaller is good).
I cut them into long strips like french fries and coated them with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Then I roasted them in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes.  The result was exactly what I hoped: sweet roasted vegetables on the inside and toasty skin and coating on the outside.
I hope you try chayote squash if you want to satisfy that french fry craving without sacrificing nutrients.  They are pretty and colorful when paired with sweet potatoes, aren't they?  But Kurt wasn't too fond of the chayote, so I was ready with a few standbys:  sauteed broccoli and mushrooms.  Can't go wrong with that combination.  I hope this post finds you in good health and I hope you find some ideas to try for your week night grilling.  Buen Provecho.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary! Reflections on a year of clean and healthy eating

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes

Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes and Coconut Protein Pancakes